Apple, pear and chocolate crumble with Rooibos
A foolproof recipe for those days when you need a dessert in a hurry
Prep: 25 minutes – Bake: 40 minutes – Cool: 15 minutes
Makes 10 generous servings, plus second helpings
- 8 large, firm apples
- 4 pears
- 60 g (2 oz.) dark chocolate, preferably 70 per cent cacao solids
- 10 g (8 teaspoons) Purple SunsetPurple Sunset - Rooibos Nature13,18 €View ou BingoBingo - Rooibos Nature13,18 €View
- 250 g (9 oz. or 2 sticks) salted butter at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon to grease the dish
- 250 g (9 oz. or 2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 250 g (9 oz. or 3 cups) ground blanched almonds (almond meal)
- 250 g (9 oz. or 1 ¼ cups) brown sugar
1. Peel the apples and pears and cut them into large dice. Chop the chocolate. Butter a large ovenproof dish and arrange the fruit and chocolate evenly in it. With a mortar and pestle finely crush the Rooibos (or pulse it in a food processor).
2. Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F / gas mark 4).
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, Rooibos and sugar. Dice the butter and working with your fingertips, rub it into the dry ingredients until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Spread the crumbs evenly over the fruit and bake for 40 minutes, until the topping is golden.
3. Leave to cool for 15 minutes and serve warm.
Tip: Serve this delicious crumble with a Rooibos-scented ice cream
Mikaël Grou’s wine pairing
A Chenin Blanc vin de paille (straw wine) from Chris Mullineux’s Swartland estate