Rooibos flavoured panna cotta
A creamy combination of the best of South Africa and Italy
Prep: 20 minutes – Cook: 20 minutes – Chill: 4 hours 30 minutes
It’s important to get the quantity of agar-agar right for a texture that’s just creamy enough and not too jelly-like, so if possible use a digital scale set in grams.
- 2 lemons, organic or unwaxed
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) semi skimmed (reduced fat, 2%) milk
- 25 g (1 oz. or 4 tablespoons) Red VeldtRed Veldt - Rooibos Nature8,00 €View
- 4 g agar-agar (2 teaspoons, but best weighed)
- 2 vanilla pods (beans)
- 180 g (6 1/3 oz. or1 scant cup) sugar
- 1 litre (4 cups) whipping cream (at least 30 per cent butterfat) or heavy cream
- Mango or red berries for garnish
1. Grate the zest of the lemons. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk to the boil. Add the Rooibos, remove from the heat and cover. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain and leave to cool. Add the agar-agar and return to low heat, stirring constantly until the agar-agar is dissolved.
2. Slit the vanilla pods lengthways. Pour the cream into another heavy-bottomed saucepan, scrape the vanilla seeds into it and add the pods. Add the sugar and lemon zest and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, add the Rooibos-scented milk, stir to combine and pour into 8 glasses or ramekins.
3. Leave to cool. Chill for 4 hours. Garnish with diced mango or red berries and serve.
MIKAËL GROU’S WINE PAIRING
A sweet white wine such as a Jurançon or Coteaux-du-Layon